Monday, May 24, 2010

What A Character!

Well, we had another graduation in the family tonight. Sadie offically graduated from kindergarten. Last Friday we found out that Sadie had been nominated by her classmates to be their classes character of the year. Her school emphasizes building good character as part of the curriculum. She was surprised to find out that she had won and then went on to tell me that she voted for her friend Taylor since their teacher said they couldn't write their own names down. We were pretty proud of her and this great accomplishment of being character of the year. We started out the graduation evening by eating at her restaurant of choice which was Red Robin. Then we headed over to Target to purchase a little graduation gift of her choosing. I think she is the only kid I know who would choose a giant workbook for her graduation/start of summer gift. As we walked into her school for graduation a familiar song was playing. After listening for a minute I realized it was the same song that was played prior to mine and Brad's graduation from high school over 11 years ago. I think it is called "Graduation Song" by Vitamin C. Anyway- kind of surreal to hear that at our oldest child's kindergarten graduation. Brad of course has no recollection of the song- I am not surprised. There was a cute program that followed with the kids singing songs and talking about their favorite parts of kindergarten. Their teacher dedicated a poem to them that was very sweet and then presented each student with a copy as they walked across the stage and had their names read. They get their actual diplomas in two days on the last day of school. Incentive for them to keep coming I think. Anyway- it was a great night and Sadie did a fantastic job. We are so proud of her and the great year she had in kindergarten. Now onto first grade... after these next two summer months that will be filled with time spent doing many worksheets from her new workbook.






5 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

How sweet. And a little bitter-sweet too. She looks so composed and mature! What is she saying into the microphone in that one pic? I love the one of her waiting in line, she really does stand out in that crowd, and no I am not just a predjudiced nana. I also like the pic of Sadie and Drew on the bench. She's all sweet and demure and Drew looks like he could launch into the air about 100 feet like 'Iron Man'! Also the pic of Brinlee is darling. She reminds me of 'fraggle rock' in that pose. Anyway, what a great accomplishment, to have Sadie finish a year of public school (8 hours a day, no less!) with a positive attitude, great memories, and being chosen character of the year. I think the experiences of this year will set the tone for the rest of her educational career.
She reminds me of a little kindergarten graduate I once knew, about 23 years ago. :) (ditto the whole assignment book thing,also)
love,
nana 2E

PS thanks SO MUCH for the post. the next best thing to being there

Deborah Thue said...

P.S.
I do believe Drew could become a professional applaude-er. If there is such a thing. I'm just sayin'...
love,
nana 2E

Ashley said...

Wow that is so great! Congrats to Sadie for graduating KINDERGARTEN! Wow kids just grow up so fast! You have such a cute fam!

Emily Richards said...

Your kids are the cutest!! Are you guys coming to visit any time soon?

The Phillips said...

Oh my!! We can't believe how fast Sadie is growing!! We have some pictures of her when she was just one! Where has the time gone? Well, on the brighter side, congrates on being so very smart Sadie! We love we and hope you have a great summer before you start the first grade!
Uncle Steve and Aunt Sharifa;P