Friday, May 7, 2010

Life Lessons Learned


Some might ask, "Why drag three children under five years of age to an hour and a half long graduation ceremony?" You don't want to ask me this question because I could go on and on and on with the answer. Since this blog is mine- I will favor you all with a tiny glimpse into my response.
*Sadie can now read versus all by herself during family scripture reading. Brad has only heard her do this once since he is usually on a conference call during our reading time.
*Brad went on a little date with Drew during his last break from class. They bought a bat and and a ball at Walmart. I am the one who is trying to teach Drew to hit the ball and I am not very good at it.
*Every night at about 6:00 Brinlee will stand at the gate at the bottom of the stairs and yell "Ba"(our kids call Brad pa) over and over and over .
*I have to explain to Drew daily that Brad is home from work but that he can't come down and play because he is busy with school. I think he thinks Brad sleeps at work some days.
Are you getting my point? This Master's Degree has been a sacrifice for all of us. Brad is the one hittin the books daily, but the rest of us have expierienced this challenge in our own way. I am bound and determined to have the kids present at Brad's graduation ceremony. My backup plan is to let them run around the big basketball stadium where it is being held with my dad and then bring them back to their seats just in time to see Brad walk across the stage. For family night I took them outside and we practiced their hooting and hollering in secret in preparation for Brad's big moment. They have perfected the art of yelling "Go Pa" and "Yea Pa" at the top of their lungs. I can't wait!!! I want them to understand that hard work pays off and that it is important for us to be there and show support to Brad in his big moment(our big moment). We have defnitely learned a lot of life lessons as a family through this experience, the final one being that we will always be there for eachother at the important times in our lives to show support and cheer eachother on.

10 comments:

AZ Larsens said...

They are definitely not too young! Especially Sadie. I was 5 when my dad graduated from BYU and I STILL remember his graduation ceremony. I thought about that all while growing up and it's one of the main reasons why I was so set on going to college. And 17 years later, I graduated from BYU too!

Congrats guys!

Claire said...

Thanks Christy!

Sierra and Matt said...

I think it is great you are keeping the kidlets involved. Way to show them what an accomplishment it is and that hard work is rewarded. We are proud of you all for hanging in there! Congrats Phillips clan!! We miss you guys!

DaNelle said...

That is so awesome! Congrats to Brad and YOU for being so patient through all of this. You guys are so cute, I love reading your blog!

The Wilson Family said...

Wahoo! Congrats to ALL the Phillips!

Deborah Thue said...

Amen! and Amen! I love you guys so much right now that I am in tears. We are so proud of ALL of you. And you can DARN bet that on graduation day, we will be holding those kidlets on our shoulders and yelling, "YAY PA!" at the top of our lungs too.
love,
nana 2E

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

I totally agree to have them all there! YOu have been through a lot and it is your big day too! Enjoy it!

paula said...

Good for you. Congrats to everyone!

BrandonKristin said...

when brandon graduated I was just as excited, because I felt like I had graduated all over again! It definately took both of us to get him through school and we were celebrating that together! It was such a great great day, and we partied hard!!! Way to go!! Congrats for all of you

Ashley said...

Congrats on graduating!! It is a major accomplishmenr! I'm so proud of all of you! We all make sacrifices in our life and I know that it will all pay off in a great way! Love you guys!