Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Over Achiever (Maybe it's the Dr. Pepper)

Well I guess it is time for a pregnancy update. At my appointment last week my blood pressure was really high so the decision was made to put me on some medication to lower it. I have been taking that now for almost a week and it is indeed lowering my blood pressure as well as my ability to move from one spot to another. Thank goodness that I will only be on this for a couple more weeks at the most because it makes me feel like a slug. I have been able to push through with the help of my good friend Dr. Pepper every once in a while. Go ahead and judge me for drinking caffeine while I am pregnant, but at this point- my kids getting fed and clothed is worth whatever long term possible ADHD damage I am doing to Brinlee. Anyway- along with the medicaiton come some tests that I have to have done weekly at the hospital until she is born. I went yesterday for my first round and was at the hospital for two and a half hours. They did an ultrasound where they look for the baby to be doing something called "practice breathing." This shows them that her lungs and diaphram are getting ready to be able to breath for real when she is born. They were hoping that watching her for a half hour would produce two 15 second intervals of this breathing. After six minutes the tech told me I was done- that she was pretty much doing the breathing the whole time so there was no need to watch any longer. I did get a little info during the ultrasound which was that she looks to have a full head of hair so that should be fun. Next I had to have a non stress test where I was hooked up to monitors for an hour and they watched her movement and her heart rate. Again they were hoping to see a few intervals of her heart rate speeding up and then slowing down- but due to the over achieving nature of this child- they got what they needed in way less than the hour I was hooked up for. They said I was having consistent contractions while on the monitors- which I am aware of since they are pretty strong. They called my Dr. after all of the tests were done and he said he would see me on Thursday for my next appointment with him. So- we found out she has hair and that she is a good breather and her heart can race and slow down like a pro- but still no estimated time of arrival. I am hoping that Thrusday's appointment will show that I am well on my way with dilation and that she can come anytime. We will see. Until then I am just trying to stay somewhat comfortable but not too comfortable or I will fall asleep thanks to the blood pressure meds. The kids are doing great and are very excited for Brinlee's arrival and more importantly Nana's arrival. More to come...

1 comment:

Deborah Thue said...

YAY! You and Brinlee are doing so great! Can't wait to see you all. YAY also for Dr. Pepper...I use that help from time to time also...as you well know. Maybe it started about 29 years ago???
love,
nana 2E