Sunday, January 17, 2010

Routine




I have had the feeling lately of being in the movie "Ground Hog Day." You know the one with Bill Murray where he wakes up every morning to the same exact day. I am not sure what is making me feel like this lately. Perhaps it is the ever present some times mundane tasks of each day such as diaper changing, cleaning up toys, making meals, breaking up fights- you get the idea. Or maybe it is that I get the same question from Sadie at dinner every night- "Brown meat again- who wants to eat meat that is brown?" Or maybe my frequent trips to Walmart even though I plan to only go every two weeks. Anyway- as I was thinking about this I came up with that maybe I need to be a littler more spontaneous on occasion, but all in all I am very happy with my predictable scheduled life. I like that we have walks as a family every Sunday night. I really enjoy having dinner on the table every day at 5:00. The kids are very comfortable in their routine and I don't think that is a bad thing. I think it gives them stability and the courage to try new things knowing that they will always come back to our little home at night, have a bath and get tucked into bed. I know that this time in our life where the kids are little and need me to help them with so much is not going to last long. Some days feel a little Ground Hogesque but really before I know it they will all be on their way to being independent and I will probably wish for the day that Sadie made a nightly comment about the color of the meat that I have cooked. Things are not always the most exciting or easy around here- but I am content and I think that is worth a lot.

5 comments:

Sharla said...

Well said. Yesterday I was looking through old pictures and saw some of my kids when they were younger. I was surprised how much I missed them at those ages. I'm not one to cry about them growing up (more like wishing it too quickly). I'm working on enjoying the present.

Deborah Thue said...

You are right-the price you are paying now to make a place that your kids feel safe and secure in is SOOO worth it! I kinda wish that I had slowed down more often to enjoy the "daily" things of life when you guys were little. Such a seasoned insight from you, so early in the game...that's why I am so proud of you. I am thankful for the cute little family you guys are building and maintaining. Thank you!
love, nana 2E

Stephen and Erin said...

I know! Be spontaneous and cook chicken instead of red meat that'll shake things up a bit! I wish i was a good a mother as you Clair! You are awesome!

Deborah Thue said...

PS. I loved 'hearing' you say that you are content. I cannot honestly thing of anything that a mother would rather hear her adult child say. That is indeed priceless (and hopefully not too fleeting!)
love,
mom

paula said...

Oh, yes! I remember the monotony. The same job over and over again. But it really does end. In the meantime, it's nice to have a date nite to look forward to. Weekends come just in time, huh?