Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

I awoke to the usual this morning.  The kids loudly going downstairs, dragging all of their stuffed animals and blankets.  About 5 minutes later when the first fight of the morning broke out, I threw back the covers to get out of bed and head downstairs to break it up, only to have the covers thrown back on top of me.  Then I remembered, it's Mother's Day today!  Brad snuck out the room whispering orders to me to stay in bed or shower or do whatever I wanted until breakfast was delivered to me.  I did just that.  About an hour later I was showered with a lovely omlet and fresh fruit breakfast and so many lovely hand made cards.  Sadie had made a cute little teapot at school that included a cute poem about taking a break and having some tea as well as a little envelope of tea.  Earlier that morning she had mentioned to Brad that she was pretty sure that I didn't drink tea.  He helped her replace the tea packet with a hot chocolate packet from our pantry.  She was so proud that she had fixed the problem and now could give me something she knew I could have.  Drew had made a cute flower bouquet out of his hand prints in preschool.  Two of the hand prints were made with pink and purple paint.  I asked him if he was okay with using that color of paint on his hands and he said he had done it for me so it was okay just that one time.  Brinlee proudly handed me a bottle of juice and told me shad had made it and could she please have some with me.  In all the excitement nobody had noticed Cole grabbing for the omlet and actually succeeding in getting a piece.  They all then left me to my breakfast and patiently waited for me to come downstairs and help them get ready for church.  Brad has taken care of all the meals today which is such a treat for me.  He is downstairs right now working on dinner with 3 little sous chefs assisting him.  I have had to stop myself from butting in and "helping."  It is good for him to be on the other side of what I do every day and night and it is good for me to relinquish some control and have a few minutes to myself.  Brad surprised me with an itunes card and told me I should use it all for songs that I wanted.  When we buy one we usually split it down the middle and each take half since we don't exactly have the same taste in music.  I was looking around and found the Michael Mclean song from way back in the day called "Together Forever Someday."  It is super cheesy and just what I was looking for on a Sunday/Mother's Day morning.  I bought it and have played it a few times singing right along with Michael.  The kids think I am crazy, but have actually started humming along with me these last couple of times.  I had Brad take a picture of me with each child this morning before church.  They are the reason I am a mother and I am so thankful that they came to me.  Everyday they teach me way more than I teach them.



Cole: Our last little baby to join our family.  We wouldn't have been complete without him.



Sadie: My first born.  The one who had to give me my mommy legs.  She is so patient with being the first.
Brinlee:  My mini me.  She is a clone of me in every way, including her fiesty personality.


Drew:  My first born son.  He is 100% boy and keeps me educated on all things super hero and pirates.

We tried a few times for a serious picture and then decided to go with silly faces instead.  These kids keep me laughing and help me not take things too seriously.  

1 comment:

Deborah Thue said...

Oh my goodness, what a sweet journal entry for mother's day 2012! You had me laughing (and tearing up) right along with you. I am sooo proud of the mother you have become. It is so gratifying to watch you with your family. I too remember the song, "we can be together forever someday". Brings back lots of happy memories of earlier times, when we all lived under the same roof; sometimes maybe even too close for comfort as everyone started having growing pains. But to me, they are all good memories now, and when I get to feeling a little lonely in my house, I like to think of those "together" days, when we would maybe step on eachother's toes a bit. It was a wonderful time, and now I look forward to being a family forever, together, someday. And it makes me smile to know that we can have eternity under the same "roof" again.
Happy Mother's Day Claire!
love, mom xo