I would have to say that a large portion of my mothering skills come from the mother I had/have. I am sure she will disagree with this, as we are all our own worst critics, and she is always the first one to give her children credit instead of taking it for herself. But it is the truth. My mom was the best mom for me in my growing up years and she is now such a great source for me as I mother my own bunch. I call her regularly to ask her opinion on anything and everything. A boy has a crush on Sadie- what do I do?? Brinlee wants to do everything by herself- what do I do?? Drew has selective hearing- what do I do? I consult her all the time on recipe help as well. She never once says that she is too busy to help me when I call. Her health is not the best sometimes and I am sure I have disturbed her slumber on occasion with my frequent calls, but she graciously helps me none the less. I hope I can be like her some day. This weekend she called me from Hobby Lobby- "they have that big metal star here that you love and it is 50% off. Can I get it for you for Mother's Day?" I respond, "um, you are my mother- I get you something for Mother's Day- not the other way around. Plus that star is huge- it would be impossible to mail it here." She says, "well they only have one so I am going to have them hold it while you go look at your Hobby Lobby. If they have it at yours, buy it and I will send you the money. If they don't have it, I will get this one for you and figure out how to get it to you." I ran out to Hobby Lobby with Sadie and they had not one but two of these stars so I called my mom back and she told me to get it and that the check was in the mail. How awesome is my mom!!! I have been looking at this star for atleast a year. She remembered that and also knew that I probably wouldn't spend the $ on it for myself even if it was 50% off. I brought it right home and had the perfect spot for it. Brad hung it up for me and now I get a huge smile on my face when I walk down the stairs and see it hanging on my wall. Not just because it goes PERFECTLY with my decor and because I have had my eye on it for so long, but because it came from my mom. She also surprised me last night by purchasing a plane ticket to fly down here in a couple of weeks to attend all of the kid's last week of school activities. I don't think she knows how much this means to me or the kids. I was having to pick and choose which events I would attend since it really isn't realistic for me to take the two younger kids by myself to a bunch of assemblies and end of year programs. Now I will have another set of hands to help me at these events. I told Sadie and Drew this morning that Nana will be here in 2 weeks and will be able to come to all of their performances and graduations and they were so happy. I know my mom has to choose how to spend her resources and time for travel and it means so much to me that she chooses her family first. What a great example she is to me! Happy early Mother's Day Mom!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
If this was facebook I would hit the like button. If your mom is what helped you to be the great women you are she has to be great too.
This makes me cry a little cause I love your mom just about as much as I love my own mom!!
WOW...what can I possibly say?
You are right to say that I would not say I was a very good mom, I think you just came the way you are and hopefully I didn't mess you up too much. I am grateful for you because you are who made me
a "Mom".
I watch with a full heart, and often, wet eyes as I see the things you do to be a mommy to your darling kidlets. I couldn't ask for anything more gratifying than that.
Just as you will always be a mother to your little brood, I will always be here for you, as your mother,
in whatever way you need.
I am so thankful to be able to say,
"Happy Mother's day to my Daughter!"
love,
nana 2e
Your Mom sounds awesome. You're star is fantastic. And you are a great Mom as well. Sadie is one of the best behaved kids in our class!
Post a Comment