Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Good Sign??

Last night we had a crazy weird storm here in the hot Arizona.  I guess it was maybe a monsoon- I don't know.  The wind was whipping around so fast and strong that trees were bending completely in half. It was loud.  So loud that I was sure it would wake my slumbering children. But it didn't.  I laid in bed listening to the craziness outside and didn't have to get up once to calm a child.  I drifted off to sleep myself around 10:30, but it didn't last.  At 1:30am Brinlee wandered into our room saying that she needed to go to the bathroom and that the bathroom light wouldn't turn on.  I thought maybe she was sleep walking so I took her down to the bathroom only to discover that she was right.  The light wouldn't turn on- and then it clicked- my brain- not the light.  The power had gone out.  Oh no- not this again.  (Last year in hot hot July we lost power for quite a few hours leaving us hot and sweaty and grumpy.)  So I grabbed a nearby flashlight and took her to the bathroom and tucked her back in bed.  I was sure she would put up a fight about her room being so dark since the night light wasn't working, but she went back just fine and quickly fell back asleep.  I on the other hand laid in bed going over what I would do if this outage lasted as long as the one last year.  I was starting to notice the increase in temperature as well.  Arizona in August is equivalent to hell I think.  Even at night it only cools to around 90 degrees or so, so you definitely notice it when your a/c is  not working- even if it is the middle of the night.  Well luckily an hour or so later the power kicked back on and I was again able to fall back asleep in my comfortably cool house.  In the morning the kids were quick to run in and tell me that their alarm clocks were broken and they didn't know if they could get out of bed yet.  I explained to them what happened.  We reset the clocks and then began the morning routine of getting ready for school.  Just as they were starting to eat breakfast, the first call came.  It was Drew's teacher informing me that the power at the school was still out and school would be canceled for the day.  This was kind of strange since we live in very close proximity to the school and we had power.  I was just happy that our power came back on and we were  not going to be home all day in a hot house with no tv, computer, basically everything my kids think they "need" to survive.  Before I could get the words out of my mouth to tell the kids what was up, the phone rang again.  This time it was an automated message from the school with the same news.  After that call I told the kids they could finish breakfast and then go change out of their uniforms since there was not going to be any school today.  I expected a hooray or a yippee, but instead I got... tears.  What????  They both went on and on to tell me how much they love school and how I am so boring and don't I know they have testing this week and Drew was going to get to be line leader today and on and on and on.  After extoling the virtues of school to me for 5 minutes, I finally cut them off and said two words, "happy meals??"  That was all it took to turn those frowns upside down.  A promise of chicken nuggets, fries, and a toy for lunch made all the difference.  Everyone adjusted pretty well after that- with the exception of Brinlee who has gotten used to being the older one(aka the boss) at home during the day and didn't really appreciate Sadie taking her place back.  We are all eagerly awaiting the phone call from the school this afternoon letting us know that the power has been restored and that there will in fact be school tomorrow.  I guess it is a good sign that they took the news so hard.  It probably won't always be that way so I will take it while I can get it.

1 comment:

Deborah Thue said...

So Cute! I just love how much those kidlets enjoy going to school! I shoudn't be too suprised, since their mother was the same way at that age.Good thinking for happy meals, and all the tricks you have up your sleeve for making them happy...(even if you are BORING!)
love,
nana 2e xo!