Sunday, September 23, 2012

Freedom

Drew had his first project due for school this week.  We worked on it over the weekend and whipped it out in no time.  The project was to make a poster on the theme of freedom.  It could be whatever freedom means to the child and their family.  When I started talking with Drew about some ideas, his mind immediately wen to Captain America.  No surprise there right since the kids is obsessed with super heroes.  Every time I tried to sway him to some other form of freedom, he would speedily make his case for why Captain America means freedom.  Unfortunately, he had some pretty good talking points.  First off, he is red white and blue just like a flag. Second, apparently Captain America was in a branch of the military before he started fighting off mega super villains.  Third, and I quote word for word from Drew, " He is a really good guy mom. He only wants freedom for the good guys and ya know, not freedom for the bad guys."  How could I argue with that?  So in the ultimate compromise Drew and I worked at the kitchen table on Saturday afternoon constructing his freedom poster which does include Captain America, though to my credit they are the smallest stickers on the poster.  He will have to present his poster in class so we worked on a little speech for him.  It goes a little something like this... "Captain America is a super hero who loves freedom.  My uncle Matt was in the marines and he was a hero to us all by defending and protecting our freedom."  I am sure he will throw in some more Captain America tid bits before all is said and done, but what are you gonna do.

*If you look closely, you will see that Drew is wearing a hulk ring on his finger in the picture.  Don't think he didn't try to convince me that Hulk should have a place on the freedom poster as well.  Glad I talked him out of that one.

3 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

what a cute mom you are! you can
tell how pleased Drew is with
his poster...he is trying so
hard to suppress a huge grin!
you guys are getting to be
pros at homework and reports,eh?
good job. you get about 1,000
patience points for that one.
love,
nana 2e/mom

The Phillips said...

That's so great! Ethan is into all those super Heroes too. Boys are just so funny! Btw captain America was in WWII, I only know cause I've see the movie a few times plus the cartoon version of the Avengers.

Ashley said...

That is so clever!! You guys did an awesome job!