Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Magical Year




A while back we started thinking and planning for our family vacation this summer.  There was talk of a stay-cation at a resort here in AZ.  There was talk of meeting my parents half way in St. George, and even talk of a San Diego vacation.  And after all was said and done, we ended up with season passes to the Happiest Place on Earth.  This was going to be the year that we took off from Disneyland, and instead we will be going multiple times within the next year.  We started throwing around the idea a couple months back as Brad and I were trying to decide on a destination for our 10 year anniversary trip.  We were considering a cruise, and at the last minute I just couldn't make myself commit to that.  Our kids are still so little, Cole will barely be done nursing when we go, and I just didn't feel comfortable leaving the country for four or five days.  My parents are being so nice and will be staying with the kidlets while we go, but I ultimately decided that I would rather be closer to home than a cruise would take us.  I may be a little on the hyper sensitive side when it comes to this, but what good would it be to go on a trip and then be worried the whole time that we were gone.  Brad and I continued to talk through ideas and locations and then we remembered that back before Brad left on his mission we made a quick trip to Disneyland together.  It was so fun and we made great memories.  We thought it would be fun to re-create that trip, just the two of us- except for this time we will be able to stay in the same hotel together unlike last time when we stayed in separate rooms at my Aunt's house.  So it was settled, we decided if we were going to make 2 trips to Disneyland in one year, why not get a year pass and sneak in one or two quick weekend trips throughout the year as well.  We talked it over with the kids who contributed their two cents on ways to make each trip inexpensive.  Sadie has already planned out all the food we will be taking in a cooler for meals at the hotel.  Drew is saving his allowance each week so he will have enough to get something from the Star Wars store.  Brinlee held on to a piece of junk mail from Disneyland for weeks without us knowing and when we told them of our plan to get season passes, she rushed up to her room and produced the crumpled up piece of mail letting us know that she had a "coupon" we could use.  Where did these kids come from?  Oh that's right, their crazy budget conscience mother.   That settled it. We purchased the tickets and  Sadie made us a count down paper chain to help us count down the days to our first trip which will be in June.  I am so excited(and a little bit worn out already at the thought) for our Magical Year at Disneyland!

3 comments:

Sharla said...

How fun!!!! It will be a memorable year. You're fortunate to live close enough to make multiple trips. We're planning a trip next winter. I'll have to get the frugal tips you come up with. :)

BrandonKristin said...

I would love to meet you one of those trips! It would be so fun. I am so excited for you guys and super jealous you live so close!

Deborah Thue said...

YAY for Disneyland!
I'm so glad you guys are doing this. What a great thing for your family at this age.I think you will make some great memories, both at Disneyland and at home while you do the planning.
All your little helpers and their contributions to 'the cause' are so adorable. Love the pic.
love,
nana 2e