Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Tradition Packed Weekend

I am a girl who loves tradition.  On of my favorite weekends full of tradition happened to be this past weekend.  It was the first weekend in October, which means General Conference.  I do love that we get General Conference two times a year, but I have to admit that the fall sessions are my favorite.  I have been looking forward to listening to the talks for weeks.  I knew I needed to do some preparations before hand if I planned on being able to actually hear what was being said rather than refereeing fights the entire time.  Thanks to the dollar bins at Target, I was able to make the three older kids a little basket full of treats and activities to keep them busy while we listened.  I also found a couple of Halloween crafts at Hobby Lobby on sale and added those to the mix.  The kids were so happy with all of their stickers and activities that the first couple of sessions were a breeze.  In between the morning and afternoon session, Sadie and Drew headed out to the back yard to pick up weeds and leaves in hopes of earning a little extra cash.  That night, Brad headed out to the Priesthood Session at the church and we had our annual Halloween dinner.  Orange foods galore as well as mummy hot dogs- what more can you ask for.  I decided to cue up some Halloween music on Pandora while we ate and everyone loved it.  They even did some thriller moves in between bites.  We decorated tons and tons of sugar cookies and then went for a walk under the stars to deliver some to the neighbors.  When we got back home, it was proposed that we have a Halloween dance party... in the dark.  For some reason I agreed. This is a new tradition that I think will be sticking around for a while.  I periodically snapped pics of the kids dancing with the help of the flash.  Later that night the kids called Nana to tell her about the dance party.  Sadie talked first and said, "Nana, we just had a dance party in the dark to Halloween music, and mom kept flashing us." Needless to say I quickly got on the phone to clarify that one for my mom. Sunday we had traditional cinnamon rolls that got all eaten up before I could even get a picture.  The baskets of fun kept everyone entertained through the rest of the sessions.  We then had a yummy dinner and headed out for a walk in the fresh air to get some of our(mostly Drew's) energy out.  It was a great weekend spent together as a family listening to our church leaders and being greatly fed- both spiritually and physically.


















2 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

WOW! Talk about a fun-filled weekend! I can't believe everything you did. That doesn't happpen without tons of preparation - goog job!
I am so grateful that you are so 'engaged' with my grand-kidlets. It really makes a difference in their lives, and you are making memories and traditions that will strengthen your family and your kid's relationships for the rest of their lives!
YAY! for fall! (i always knew you were my 'fall' girl) ;)
love, mom/nana 2e
xo! boo!
p.s. your house looks adorable all decorated up for the season.

Sharla said...

We like to have dances in the dark too, but I've never considered flashing my kids... hahaha. That is hilarious! We use glow sticks in our dances. So fun.