Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Thoughts of the Day
We are in a good groove here in the Phillip's home. Things were a little off while Brad was gone on travel a couple weeks back, but we have settled back in to our routines and things are good. I have been thinking a lot about what I contribute to society outside of my home lately and it has led me back to reading and re-reading one of my favorite conference talks. Mother's Who Know, by Sis. Julie B. Beck. I love this talk and basically have the whole thing highlighted. A couple of my favorite quotes are, " in the eternal perspective, children-not possessions, not position, not prestige-are our greatest jewels." Another great one is, "These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most." I do a lot within in the walls of my home to keep us afloat like laundry, cooking, cleaning, so on and so forth. But I also put a lot of energy into teaching and nurturing these four little people who are changing daily and becoming not so little anymore. It is good work, it is hard work, and it is important work. I am finding time for myself as I prioritize and plan. My treadmill broke back in December and we replaced it with a less expensive and more compact stationary bike. I am able to bring the bike in the house every morning and get an even better work out than I did on the treadmill and still be able to keep watch over Brinlee and Cole so they do not kill each other or themselves. I am making time to plan and prepare healthy meals and snacks for myself and everyone else in this fam which keeps us all feeling good. I am finding time- usually during nap/rest time to journal and read or watch some form of spiritual nourishment. It is a great boost for me mid-day and helps me keep a good attitude as we go in to the crazy after school/dinner hours of the afternoon. Most nights I can barely keep me eyes open past 10:00, but I just look at that as a sign that I am doing a good job. We still have our rocky moments here daily, but I am seeing that as I focus my energy on the things that matter most, I am able to keep a better perspective and get through those harder times without quite so much drama. Life is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing! I had to go back to read this talk, and I am very grateful you shared it.
I too love this talk.
When I think about
'Mothers Who Know' I
think about you among
a very few others. I am
so proud (is that the right
word? I don't know) of you.
The choices you are making,
the life you are living, the
family you and Bradley are
nurturing, and the sweet
job you are doing with your
4 not so little people.
You are an example to me,
among many others, I am sure.
I love you. I know something
about how difficult the
work you are doing really is.
There is no weightier job,
challenge, or title, in this
life or the next.I am so
thankful that my grandkidlets have on this earth and
forever, a mother who knows.
love you,
mom xox
even more thankful
today than yesterday
xox mom
Post a Comment