Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Decorating

We have been all decked out for Christmas here for a couple of weeks but I am just now getting around to posting some pictures. Brad hit the submit button Sunday night to turn in his final paper and six weeks of break officially started. When he said he was done, Sadie started singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas." It is so nice to have him around and I am looking forward to the next six weeks. I found this great clock at Deseret Book and loved it- the price was slashed for the holidays so I had to snatch one up. I redid my back wall with family photos in black and white to go with the clock. Yesterday Brad hung them all for me and I really like how it turned out. The tree was decorated with help from little hands. I have moved some of the ornaments around but it seems they always end up clumped together again- oh well. I have a little Christmas village on top of our entertainment center. I had mentioned to Sadie that we should buy some fake snow to scatter around it. She said, "Oh I can make snow mom- just give me a piece of paper." In ten short minutes Sadie turned our little village into a winter wonderland. The nativity seems to be the hot item at our hosue this year. I continue to find new additions each night. There are currently two of the baby Jesus in mangers. When I questioned why we needed two the answer I got went something like this..."Mom, Christmas is to celebrate baby Jesus and that he was born and that he loves us so if we are going to have two sheep in our nativity I think we should probably have two of the baby Jesus okay." I couldn't argue with that so this year we will have two of the baby Jesus in our nativity. Most of the presents are wrapped and under the tree as to avoid any peeking. Last but not least is this garland that I put up on our countertop. I applied it using some duct tape and after seeing it slowly fall down day after day I have decided that duct tape and I are not friends. I have hacked away at Brad's roll of tape and I am sure he will be hoping to find a new roll in his stocking to replace the one I have ruined. What would this time of year be without treats? In my opinion a plate of goodies on the counter is an important part of the Christmas decor. We are having a great Decemeber enjoying our 60 degree temps, our walks around the neighborhood to check out the lights, and our time together as a family.









6 comments:

Andrea :) said...

Yahoo for a six week break! I hope you guys have some great family time! :) I love your decorations, especially the goody plate part. :)

Deborah Thue said...

I love the story of Sadie becoming "Edward Scissor-hands" for the village snow...she is quite the little crafty
princess, eh? I also love that you let the kids have 2 baby jesus's..you are such a good mommy. YAY for Brad being done with school, I woulda been singing w/ Sadie too. Your decorations are so darling and I LOVE the wall-good job! Can't wait to see the wall (and everybody else) in person!
love, nana 2E

Lisa in AK said...

Wow! Your decorations are beautiful! I especially love the wooden nativity. The tree is picture perfect also. I'm very impressed you did this with three kids! Have fun with all the other activities, and keep postin'.

paula said...

Oh my gosh! Your decorations look wonderful. I need your help. Or maybe just Sadie's...?

The Wilson Family said...

cute, cute! but how do you keep your kids from trying to unwrap the presents? ours are wrapped and stored in the laundry room (up high):)

BrandonKristin said...

Okay everything of course in true Claire Phillips fashion looks great. The part I am dying over is the 60 degree weather--AAAHHH! We are dreaming of a warm weahter Christmas in Texas, it is soooo cold here, and I know you are thinking that is why you live there. But the trade off is those blasted hot summers where you are a prisoner in your house like I am now! ENJOY the warm weather, I hope its like that when we go home next week!