Saturday, December 12, 2009

My- I Mean Sadie's First School Project

Meet Olive. She is Sadie's first big take home project from school. Each student chose a country and then they had to research Christmas customs of the country and then make clothes and write a little paper on their country. A couple weeks ago when I picked Sadie up from school she told me that Devin stole her first choice of country, Brazil and that she picked Canada for her doll. Today we did the bulk of this project and can I just say I am not excited for the nex 12 plus years of doing these projects with my kids. I tried to figure out how I was nominated to be the one to help Sadie with this and here is what I came up with. Brad wanted to put that one of Canada's Christmas traditions was saying hoser and eh?. After seeing how much I spent at Hobby Lobby on "supplies" for said doll he said "Couldn't we have bought some doll clothes from the store for that much?" After that he was taken off the list of supervisor. If Sadie had her way this doll would be covered in sparkles and little tiny pieces of chopped up felt. She needed some guidance and since Brad was already elimated it fell to me to take on this role. Drew wanted to put his eye patch on the doll and make her a pirate- big surprise. And Brinlee tried to suck on the paper the doll was made out of every chance she got. This did turn out to be a family project which was what the information sent home reccomended so good for us. The doll got her name from Sadie's second cousin Olive who we met on our trip to Canada last year. We now need to let the doll dry over night and hopefully she will not be naked in the morning. We will also rehearse the little presentation Sadie will do on Monday talking about traditions and customs in Canada. And I was just starting to think we were getting a break from homework- yeah right.




5 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You have just passed an important parent milestone, with great style and grace I might add. Olive is darling, and I can see both you and Sadie's influence. Good job blending both of your ideas together, I know it must have taken all of your patience! There's no denying the look of pride and happy accomplishment in Sadie's eyes in that first picture!
I especially love the google eyes and the cotton ball trim on her neck and skirt. You've set the bar very high for future project-creating. It's the beginning of a new educational era in the Phillips household and you get
an A++ !
love,
nana 2E
PS I only wish I could be there for the class presentation. (Is there a possibility of video-ing it?) Maybe her teacher will. Or Sadie can tell me in person in a few days:)

Deborah Thue said...

You must be pooped! But you are making memories and setting patterns that will last the rest of Sadie's life. (And probably Drew has been looking on - I'm sure this is not lost on him!)
Good work...now take a nappy.
love,
nana 2E

The Phillips said...

You guys did a great job with the doll!!! We think that Olive would make a great Canadian pirate!!! ;P(Ha Ha Ha!!!) Good luck Sadie on your presentation!!!!
-- Uncle Steve and Aunt Sharifa

the Bunker Family said...

Ohhhhh.....it looks like a little Claire. Only she needs a tutu. Seriously, you've got to admit she's a little likeness of you as a tot. Good job Sadie, I mean Claire, I mean Sadie. You did Canada proud, eh?

The Johnsons said...

Wow! Olive looks awesome! We haven't had any real projects here yet, but we have homework every night. :( It's only Kindergarten! :)