Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why Why Why???

So Sadie has a fear of, well just about everything. Today she had a fire drill at school and the only way I found out about it is because I drove by her school and saw all the kids out in the parking lot, so I asked her about it when she got home. This is new for us. Usually it would be the first thing she would tell me when I picked her up. I would hear all about how it wasn't for a real fire, and how her teacher lets her hold the clipboard with everyones names on it so she has something to do besides worry. Sad I know, but look we are making progress. Fast forward to tonight. I am cuddled up on the couch with the two older kiddos enjoying the Easter Charlie Brown special, and bam- we are hit with live breaking news of some giant FIRE burning in Phoenix somehwere. I am fumbling for the remote, but am just not fast enough. Here we go again. Is that fire by us? Is it going to burn us and our house? Where are the firemen and why aren't they stopping it? At this point I am pushing the kids off my lap to change the channel and Sadie is now covering her eyes. Why Why Why must you interrupt a lovely Charlie Brown Easter to bring us this update? So, I tried to talk her down and tell her that the fire is no where near us, and that the firemen will get it under control yada yada yada. She put on a brave face, but I am expecting atleast one middle of the night visit to my bedroom to tell me she is scared of the fire. Isn't it ironic? Two steps forward and one step back, such is life.
PS- The whole time I am dealing with Sadie- Drew is non-stop talking about the flames and how they won't burn him because he is tuff like a pirate. I sure do have both ends of the spectrum don't I?

4 comments:

AZ Larsens said...

Well now I know you read my blog, I can officially comment on yours!

We had MAJOR issues with fire drills last year with J.J. Like, the teacher had to send him to hang out with the front office ladies during a fire drill b/c he was SO FREAKED OUT by it. Poor guy... Of course this year it's a different story, he loves it now!

Deborah Thue said...

So teary-darling-sad. You are such a good mommy. I am sure it is because of the way you handle these things that Sadie is able to make such good progress. Isn't it just like earth life to throw something like that into the mix of that particular day? Also I LOVE Drew's reaction-he is the EXACT definition of ALL BOY. I also liked reading that you were able to be cuddling on the couch with the kids, even if it was just for a minute. A minute here, a minute there, right?
love,
nana 2E

Emily Richards said...

She sounds a lot like H-O-L-L-Y when she was little- do you remember that? The fire drill that ruined kindergartin-6th grade for her. Poor cute Sadie- I miss you guys!

Unknown said...

Oh Oh Oh I can't begin to tell you how vividly I feel your pain! But Hey, look at Holly now! I still tell Holly she is going to be a source of help all through her life to anxious people. It may help to know that this happens to bright/smart children, pretty much exclusively. What does that say about our other kids! Are they dumb as bricks??