Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Eve
















We have a tradtion where we have a program each year on Christmas Eve. It involves the reading of Luke 2 as well as acting it out, talking about the symbols of Christmas, and singing of Christmas carols. This year my mom was a little down that we would not be able to have the program as we were all staying put with our own little families for Christmas this year. A couple of weeks ago my sister had the brilliant idea of surprising my mom with the Christmas program via web cams. My dad, my sister, and my brother and I secretly planned and did dry runs with the web cams to be sure we could make this happen. The night of Christmas Eve came and my dad callled my mom into his office at their house and we were all up on the computer via webcams. We all chatted for a bit and then my dad said "Well let's get started with the program." My mom thought he was kidding and when she realized that he was serious she was shocked. The program was one of our best- complete with Carson riding his toy motorcycle disguised as a donkey to Sadie reading the symbols of Christmas while Drew and Brinlee held each one up. The songs were a little rough with the delay on the webcams- but we made it work. Every once in a while when I wasn't busy making sure someone didn't have their finger up their nose, I would glance over and see my mom wiping away tears. She later told my dad that it was one of the best surprises in their 30 year marriage. Brad snapped some pics of the kids and I as we participated in the program. After we said goodbye to everyone on the computer, the kids got their traditional pjs and then we had our yummy chocolate birthday cake for baby Jesus. We then put them to bed with the caution that if they got out before 6:00am, their presents might disappear. Don't judge us- we like our sleep.

1 comment:

Deborah Thue said...

POSITIVELY the best Christmas Pageant ever! That is all I have to say about that! Thank you one and all. I'd say my Christmas was complete with that surprise (and you're right...it was a REAL surprise.) I was happy to see the traditions continue into each of your homes. How fun also, for the cousins to see eachother and sing together...complete with nose-picking and 'mary' having a meltdown.
much christmas love from,
nana 2E