Friday, March 9, 2012
Raised On A Farm
Many many moons ago when I was the bread winner for our family and was working full-time as a pharmacy tech, my boss nominated me for an award. It was something like employee of the month for the entire hospital I was working for at the time. Now, before you go patting me on the back, you should know I didn't win. However, I was able to see the letter my boss wrote to get me nominated. I was surprised by one of the statements in the letter. It said, "Claire works like she was raised on a farm, though I am pretty sure she wasn't." My boss was correct. I was not actually raised on a farm. But I was raised by parents who taught me the importance and value of good hard work and the sense of fulfillment that comes from a job well done. I want to make sure that I instill that good work ethic in my kids so that hopefuly someday someone will ask them if they were raised on a farm. Today I did some real back breaking, finger grinding hard work. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed my little heart away until my bathroom floors and bath tubs were as shiny as the day we moved in. It had been on my to do list for a while but was always bumped down further and further as other tasks took precedence. Today was the day to get it done and I am happy to say that despite my lower back ache and tired fingers I have walked into those bathrooms over and over again with a huge sense of satisfaction. Hard work really does pay off. That is something that can be taught no matter where you are raised and I am proof of that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are the cutest 'farm girl'
ever! I think Dad and I (mostly
Dad) did try to teach you guys
the value of hard work, but I
think also, that you were born
having that as part of your
nature, before you even got to us!
Well Done!
love,
mom/nana 2e
Post a Comment