Sunday, March 17, 2013
Spring Break Break Through
For the first day of spring break, we had plans to have a movie day with some friends. But thanks to that nasty cold that has been going around- our friends had to cancel. The kids wanted to wait to have movie day until their friends were feeling better so it was then on to plan b. Sadie and Drew have had bikes for a couple of years now and Brinlee just got one for Christmas. Sadie and Drew were still riding with training wheels. I had tried to teach them once a while back, but it ended with lots of tears and frustration and me telling Brad that because I had taught all of our kids to use a toilet, it was his responsibility to teach them to ride a bike. He agreed. He took the kids out here and there and made a little progress, but never enough to actually remove the training wheels. Well the wheels( no pun intended) starting turning in my head on Monday and I decided that I would teach the kids to ride their bikes sans training wheels. So we headed out to the park, tool in hand to remove those training wheels. I parked Cole in the stroller with some snacks and toys and Brinlee had her own bike to keep her occupied. I decided to try my best to be patient and kind and see where it got me. Drew was quick to pick up on it, though a little crazy with the steering. Sadie was persistent and tried and tried and tried again. After almost 2 hours I was confident we had made some progress, though they still rode home on training wheels. When Brad got home from work they wanted to show him what they had learned. We went out to the road in front of our house and turned the training wheels to the up position. Drew tried once, then twice, then off he went. Literally, off he went. He rode all the way around the block unassisted. We didn't know what to do, so Brad hopped on his bike and quickly caught up with him to make sure he was okay. I was worried that Sadie would feel bad and quit, but I was wrong. Apparently we just needed a little friendly competition around here. Not long after Drew rode away, Sadie got it too. They were so proud of themselves and I was too. We quickly realized that they had both outgrown their bikes now that they were riding on their own. I was then reminded that I may have mentioned to them that if they could ride without training wheels, then I would get them new bikes. I guess I was thinking it would take more than a day for them to get it. Oh well. Brad and I discussed the new bikes and on Wednesday after being presented with a list of jobs they would need to work on for me, they were both off to the store with Brad to pick out new bikes. I haven't been able to wipe they smiles off of their faces. They also beg me to let them ride all day everyday. Hopefully we don't hit too high of temps for a while so they can get some good ride time in. Yay for a spring break break through!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OOOHHH! I am SOOO proud of
you all!!! Love that you
were 'kind and patient'
and that you hung in there.
I am so proud of Drew and
Sadie! Isn't it funny, they
both "got it" just like their
personalities. Drew just took
off and never looked bac
(literally) and Sadie worked
and worked until she got it.
So cute. I am glad you guys
made good on your promise for
bigger bikes. Sometimes it is
hard for a parent to actually
DO everything they SAY they
are GOING TO DO. You guys
are all amazing!
love,
mom xo/nana 2e
p.s. I am sure that Brinlee
is also very brave on her
motorcycle. And Cole.
with his....food. xo
This is so exciting!!! Way to go!! All 3 of you!! I''m losing patience trying to teach Jackson to ride a tricycle., I hope a bicycle is easier
Post a Comment