Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Back To School Dinner

 We had our annual back to school dinner last night.  It seemed kind of early to me, but the kids will start school a week from yesterday so I guess it was right on time.  We had fun decorating and getting everything ready to show Brad when he got home from work.  I found this great printable with the scripture in 1 Timothy about "Be thou an example of the believers..."  It set the stage for a great family night on being an example as we go back to school.  We had lunch boxes and all of the lunch fixings for everyone to pack their own lunch for dinner.  Drew couldn't believe that I was letting him fill his lunch box full of snacks and just a little sandwich to eat for dinner.  After dinner we had the fashion show where Sadie and Drew tried on their uniforms and modeled for us.  Brinlee picked some random clothes out of her drawer and participated as well.(I just looked back on the blog at last year's back to school dinner.  I have to say the fashion show last year was much more put together than this years.  I was on the phone for a minute with my mom while the kids were changing.  Brad was in charge of helping them with outfits.  Before I knew it they were all out getting their picture taken by the door and then that was the end of the fashion show.  I will have to be more on top of things for that part next year.)  After that we had quick baths and then moved on to our family night lesson, a father's blessing for back to school, and then some games.  We played a rousing game of pin the apple on the tree, as well as drop the pencil into the jar, and apple in a spoon races.  We ended the night with homemade school lunch peanut butter bars.  It was a fun night and I think it helped the kids start to get in school mode.










2 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

I LOVE back to school Dinner! So sad I had to miss that. You did a very good job describing it.It looks like everyone had such a fun time. I love how Drew just beamed. He looks so much oldser in his uniform! I love how Brinlee just put anything on to model. I can tell Sadie is already taking the leave about being the "school authority". You are so good to do this every year...I know it is not easy, but they will have such great memories.
love you all loads,
nana 2e/mom

Nicole said...

This looks awesome! You are such a good mom to put all the thought and work into making things special.