Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Blink of an Eye

Today Sadie had her baptism interview with the Bishop.  She was pretty nervous even though I was coming in with her.  I was worried she would be very shy and maybe just shrug her shoulders or not talk very loud when the Bishop was speaking to her.  Boy was I wrong. That girl not only responded correctly to every question she was asked, but she did it with so much confidence.  I had to pick my jaw up off the floor a couple of times.  I was so in awe at this little person who not so long ago was a tiny tiny baby(5 lbs 4 oz to be exact) and now in the blink of an eye was pretty much bearing her testimony to the Bishop and explaining why she wants to be baptized.  This whole motherhood gig continues to throw curve balls at me.  I am happy to think that some of what Brad and I are trying so hard to teach our kids and show by example is actually sinking in.  But, I also know that my kids are so much better than I was.  And the truth of the matter is that they have to be.  They are growing up in a world that is so much more wicked than when I grew up and so they need to be stronger at a younger age.  At the end of the interview, the Bishop asked me if Sadie could pick a piece of candy out of his candy jar.  I said of course and then my little girl resurfaced and was agonizing over which piece of candy to pick.  I enjoy seeing glimpses of who she will be as she gets older, but I am happy to have her stay young for now and have her most difficult decision of the day be about what candy to choose.  I know time will go by way too fast- just the blink of an eye.  






2 comments:

Deborah Thue said...

Oh! As I look at these pictures, I have to blink to be sure I'm not looking at my own little girl, in that same white dress, just a few short years ago! It truly does not seem all that long ago. Sadie is very like her mother, strong spirited and strong spiritually. Happy to be choosing the right. You and Brad are doing all the best things...and then some...as parents. Just keep up the good work. And know that we are with you, all along the way.
8 years really is not that long at all, is it?
love,
nana 2e/mom
P.S. Sadie is such a good example to her brothers and sister and cousins. She is our very first!!!
xo!

lynnie said...

Give that girl some red glasses and she is you Claire! So cute, are we really that old? Crazy how time flies. Congrats on having such great kids.