Sunday, October 20, 2013

Drew is 7!!!

Last Sunday, Drew turned seven years old.  Since it is kind of hard to have a birthday on a Sunday, we also celebrated on Saturday.  We started off the morning with the traditional birthday donut with a candle in it.  Then on to presents.  He is one spoiled kid thanks to grandparents and aunts and uncles.  Next, we headed out the door for Drew's first basketball game of the season.  This is his first time playing basketball, and much to Brad's delight, he is a natural.  We all came along to cheer him on- even when he was warming the bench.  The next day- his actual birthday- Drew helped me decorate his cake by finding every lego guy he has and placing them oh so carefully in to the cake.  We had a yummy dinner of abelskievers at Drew's request.  Later that night as I was reminiscing about the night Drew was born, I snuck into his room and snapped a picture of him sleeping peacefully.  It's not too often that this kid slows down, so I have to take my tender moments when I can get them.  By the time Drew was born, we had decided that it wasn't a good idea for Brad to stay the night in the hospital with me and the new baby.  It just worked out better for both of us to have Brad go home with the other kid(s).  Drew was born at 6:30 pm on Friday the 13th of October.  After spending some time with us, Brad headed home around 10:00.  I remember laying in the hospital bed holding Drew on my chest and not really comprehending that I was now the mother of 2, and one was a boy.  I flipped some channels on tv and found that not much was on.  I turned the tv off and just stared down at Drew in amazement.  I tell him this story sometimes and each time he ends up on my lap looking in to my eyes like he did that Friday night seven years ago.  We love Drew and are so happy that he is part of our family.  What would we do without our ninja/super hero/basketball player/lego maniac!














2 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow!! Can't believe it's been 7 years!! What a precious story about the Drew was born!! What an awesome boy!!

Deborah Thue said...

the story of the night
Drew was born is so sweet.
I'm amazed that you can still
remember that! I love that you
let him 'decorate' his own
cake, you can tell he was
thrilled with it!
Happy birthday to Drew!
thanks for giving us such
darling grand-kidlets. It is
the most fun ever!
love,
mom xox/ nana 2e