I have been percolating on a lot of the things that were said during last week's General Conference regarding mothers/womanhood. The importance of my role as a mother is something very sacred to me and not much will get my "quills standing on end" quicker than that role being demeaned or dismissed. I walked to pick the kids up from school yesterday. It was gorgeous weather outside and I couldn't pass up the chance since I knew it probably wouldn't last. We are still in the 80s and 90s around here even though it is supposedly fall. Anyway, we saw lots of lizards and butterflies on our way which thrilled Brinlee but terrified Cole. As I walked up to the school, I was so happy. The weather was perfect, the kids were being good- life was good. We were a few minutes early so we found a spot in the shade to park the stroller while we waited for Sadie and Drew. A woman next to me struck up a conversation by asking how far apart in age Brin and Cole were. She was a chatty lady and then went on to ask how many other kids I had. When I said four total, she got a surprised look on her face. Next she said, "and you're a stay at home mom I am guessing?" I replied yes- that I did stay home with them. She was wearing scrubs and went on to tell me that she is a nurse who takes care of people in their homes. She said she had 2 kids and she would never want to stay home full time with them. I couldn't get many words in edge wise which was probably a good thing. She told me how her husband worked 2 jobs and she worked 70 plus hours a week and that her kids were fine being home by themselves. She ended with, " what really is there to do all day besides go to the park?" I think my mouth may have been hanging open at this point. Right then, the kids walked up to me and gave me a big hug. The chatty lady and I parted ways and we started our walk home where we saw many more butterflies and lizards- only this time Drew was trying to catch them and bring them home as our pet. It bothered me the rest of the day that I didn't try harder to say something positive about staying home with my children. I thought of a hundred things I could have said in response to her park comment. Then this morning, I was checking one of my favorite blogs and read something about motherhood that bothered me. The woman who writes the blog does a Q and A kind of thing on Fridays. She had answered someones question about if she felt like she had missed out on a career by being a stay at home mom. She answered the question by saying that motherhood is the career she had always wanted and she was grateful that she had been able to make it work with her husband so she could stay home and live that dream. Someone responded in the comments asking her why she had ever bothered to get a college degree- especially at an expensive college- if she knew she wanted her career to be as a mother. I was dumb founded that someone would actually ask this. I checked back throughout the morning to see if their was a response from the woman who writes the blog. Here is what she said:
"Maria, like Amanda, I'm so sad that people think having a college degree is not important when you're a mother. We are raising the next generation! I am honestly so puzzled that I get this question quite a lot. I just don't understand why someone would think you should just not get an education if you want to be a mother??
A college education is not just so you can get a job. Sure, that helps. But there is OH SO MUCH MORE!! A college education is to expand your mind and help you see the world in a bigger view. It's to help you understand the world. How to understand a certain field. Help you understand others you study and work with. It gives life lessons. From my point of view it helps in every single aspect of mothering life.
I went to Boston University for my freshman year. I was able to get financial aid and was able to put my savings from the 10-20-70 whiz bang system my parents made up for us (because they were aware and had their own college degrees which I'm sure helped) to work and used it toward my tuition. I went to BYU for the rest of college and graduated in Social Work. I have never once worked in the Social Work field, but I have also never once had a day in my motherhood career that I didn't use the information I gleaned from those college courses, or from my college experience as a whole. I use my knowledge every single day of my mothering career.
Mothers are not just people to drive carpools and give hugs. WE are nurturing growing minds. We are teaching children about the world they are navigating. We are teaching them life lessons. How grateful I am to have a college education under my belt for this. Sure, there are no "majors" in being a mother, but to me, every single major in the world makes a difference in the mothering realm.
Please do not think that being a mother does not need education. Yes, people do it every day without, and they do it well. And I applaud them for that. But how lucky are we as mothers if we do have that opportunity to expand our minds just a little more. Motherhood is, in my opinion, the most important job in the world. And an education sure helps to do it more deliberately."
I am not one to comment on blogs of people I don't know personally, but I just couldn't help myself this time. I posted a quick "AMEN to that," before I could change my mind about commenting. This so sums up how I feel about my career as a mother and the value that my education brings to it. I loved when she said, "mothers are not just people to drive carpools and give hugs. We are nurturing growing minds. We are teaching children about the world they are navigating. We are teaching them life lessons." I know that there are circumstances where it is not possible for a mother to stay home full time. My sweet sister in law just wrote a beautiful post on her blog about the balancing act that is working and being a mom. I so admire all that she does and the grace with which she does it. I know there are also people like the woman at school who say they don't want to stay home full time- and I respect their decision. I know for ME, it is what I have always wanted and it is what I feel like I am supposed to be doing. I know that the work I do is so much deeper than laundry and cleaning and babysitting. I find nobility in motherhood (RS Declaration) and know that the work I do within the walls of my home is the most important work I can do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Amen to that! :) One of my very favorite quotes is the one that someone shared in conference by Neal A. Maxwell about how in the end when we look back on history it will be mothers who have made the difference (WAY paraphrased). That lady you ran into is kidding herself. I can't imagine not wanting to be a mom most of all. Other things of course are important and we have to figure out ways to be our own person, but who would want someone else raising their darling kids?!
I'm certainly thankful(and also the tiniest bit proud)that my grand-kidlet's moms worked hard to get great educations,career and life experiences before they became moms. It makes a huge difference in the parent you
become, one reason being it
demonstrates to our children that
we value study and learning,
and that we hope they will too, right? The education I received
before and during my child-
rearing years helped me to build
a more interesting, stimulating,
strong nest in which to raise
my children. (but I'm not sure...
probably have to ask one of
my kids). Now that I think of it, the very act of raising my family is probably the singular most transforming 'educational' time period of my life! And I hope as a nana, I can continue to find ways to pursue my education, and believe
that it will enrich the relationships I have with my grandkids.
The way you live and the
unselfish choices you make each day, demonstrates undoubtedly to your children what you value most in life-THEM! I enjoy being a mom and it is gratifying to see my children having those adventures
now. Keep up the good work!
love,
mom xo/ nana 2e
you are awesome and I agree with everything you said!
Plus if being a stay at home mom were easy, everyone would do it!!
Well said!! Being a mother is a very rewarding job whether that is in the home all the time or only part of the time! Everyone's situation is different right.
I love, love, love this post!! You are honestly one of my Mommy role-models and I just think you are great. So many Moms do not take our responsibility of raising the next generation seriously enough. We are raising future missionaries, spouses, and future mommies and daddies. What job could possibly be more important than that? I am so thankful for the role of mother. I am hoping nothing I said made your quills stand on end :) but I can sympathize with how frustrating it is for others to belittle your role as a mother. All you can do is take comfort in knowing that you are doing the best work anyone on this earth can do, whether someone else can appreciate it or not. I'm so thankful my nieces and nephews have such a great Mommy, who puts so much effort and energy into her job.
Ps- kudos to you for having the guts to put yourself out there and share something so important to you.
Amen to that. You are definitely a great mom to great kids. Being a stay at home mom is not easy (even though sometimes you make it look that way)but well worth it.
Post a Comment