Monday, November 26, 2012
30 Days of Thankful- #26- My Season of Life
This afternoon I picked up the kids from school and headed over to pick up Brad from work. We made a quick stop at the library on the way home for a new set of books. As soon as we stepped in the house it was the usual chaos. Homework flung all over the table. Cole running around like a mad man. I started working on dinner while Brad helped with the homework. Since that is usually my job, dinner had to be put on hold a couple of times while I stepped in to help. I had promised Brinlee earlier in the day that she could help me prepare the family home evening lesson. So at one point I was cooking some chicken on the stove top, helping Brinlee find specific nativity pieces for our lesson, stopping Cole from touching the Christmas tree yet again, and helping Drew on homework while Brad helped Sadie. Everyone was talking over everyone else and it was crazy. Finally homework was finished, dinner was ready, Brinlee had her props for the lesson all in order, and Cole had been thwarted one last time from his attempt at the tree. We all sat down to dinner and talked about our day. There are so many ups and downs in motherhood. Right now, days seem long but years seem short. The other day the kids had a day off of school so we headed over to our little community park. A new girl in our ward was there with her little 8 month old baby. She asked if the kids were all mine and their ages. When I told her yes they were mine and that they were all about 2 years apart, her response surprised me. She said, "Oh wow, I think you are in the best season of life right now." At the time I sarcastically thought, "what do you know, you have one little baby that can't even move very much yet?" But, as I have thought about it more over the last few days, I think she is right. It is sometimes chaotic and exhausting, but it is also very entertaining and fulfilling and fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I always used to say
how much i love
"happy chaos".
and i still do.
i loved being a mother
in the season you are
now in.
and to my suprise, i am
loving the season that i
am in right now, as a mother
and nana. i love watching how
my children are becoming
amazing parents to my
grand-kidlets. it is so
fulfilling to see you, not
just as my child, but as
a wonderful adult. a person
who i love having a relationship
with. i loved you as a child,
i remember you at the ages of
your children. but now is even
more fulfilling. ifeel very
blessed for the experiences
i am having as an earthly
parent. i look forward to
the things to come. but i
always hope for those times
when my house is filled with
the children and grand children
that i love, the noise and
action level are high, my
children are with me doing
the 'kitchen dance' and there
is much "happy chaos".
love,
mom/nana
p.s. i apologize for leaving
a blog entry instead of a
comment. ;)
Well said! Sometimes in all the craziness we forget about the little things. We need to take a step back and enjoy every little thing that makes up motherhood and enjoy " The Season "
I appreciate this perspective. I can relate to the chaos and also may have had your initial reaction to her comment. But, you're right, it is a wonderful time of life.
Post a Comment