Saturday, November 3, 2012

30 Days of Thankful- #3- Tradition (said like Tevya from Fiddler on the Roof)

How about I let you in on a little secret?  Life as a mother of four littles eight and under can get a little, hmmmm how shall I say this, monotonous.  There is a lot of fixing meals and cleaning up meals and doing laundry and homework and braking up fights and yada yada yada.  You get the idea.   I am not complaining. This is my life right now and I am A-okay with that.  I have learned for my own sanity that it is always good to have something to look forward to.  In most cases for me, it is a holiday that is my dangling carrot.  I am a girl of tradition.  Have been since way before I had my own home and my own children.  I live for those things that we do every year to celebrate different holidays.  I have a large stack of rubber maid containers stashed in the boys closet that house all my holiday decor.  As I pull out the bin for each holiday/season, I realize that it is time to retire a couple of items and thanks to Hobby Lobby right down the street from my house, I am quickly able to replenish my supply.  It is always a breath of fresh air to put up the new occasion's decorations.  It gets me excited for all that comes with whatever it is I am decorating for.  This week it was the Thanksgiving bin.  My new pieces that I added this year were courtesy of free printables on pinterest and some old frames I had lying around.  Along with decorating for Turkey Day comes some fun traditions as well.  We will start writing our thankfuls soon to add to the thankful box and read as we have pie on Thanksgiving night.  We have already purchased movie passes to see "Wreck It Ralph" for our Thanksgiving Day movie.  Brad will most definitely play in a turkey bowl...or two.Lots of football watching will occur over the next month.  And the girls and I are working on our menu for the big day.  Just writing those down makes me so happy.  I am thankful for Tradition!! 






1 comment:

Deborah Thue said...

You ARE my girl of
traditions! Always have
been...even as a little
girl you loved decorating
for the next holiday.
In fact, if I didn't get
out the next box fast
enough, you would be
right there reminding me
that it was time. When you
were very little, it was a
great source of pride that
you could name the 'holidays'
and special days in their
proper order. So cute!
I think traditions do soooo
much to help a family have
great memories and good times
together. Thanks for
reminding me that I too am
thankful for tradtion!
love you,
mom/nana 2e